Lottery Registration Frequently Asked Questions
NOTE: The Lottery only affects Frederick County sites.
1. How does the lottery system work? Registration will open for four days and then close for one day. At that time, if more girls are registered than the number of available spots on a team, the registration system will randomly select girls for that team. All additional girls will remain in “lottery status” and be placed on the wait list for full teams. Teams that are not full will include all girls registered at that time. Registration will then re-open and additional girls will be added on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity is reached for each team.
2. Why did you move to a lottery system? While the first-come, first-served approach has worked sufficiently in the past, the lottery system allows all girls the same opportunity to participate in Girls on the Run. The lottery system provides every family an equal opportunity to register and equal access to participate in the program. This change is based on feedback from families who shared that the first-come, first-served system was problematic due to many issues including work conflicts, limited computer access, and computer glitches. Lottery registration is already used by the majority of GOTR councils nationwide and is recommended by Girls on the Run International.
3. What is Raceplanner? This is the third-party software system we have used for registration in past seasons. The Raceplanner system protects confidential information and will be used to conduct a fair and random lottery.
4. What about girls that have participated in the past? The lottery doesn’t seem fair to them. Though we appreciate the passion and loyalty of girls that have participated in prior seasons, we are also committed to ensuring that as many girls as possible experience Girls on the Run. We therefore do not offer preferential registration for GOTR alumni. The lottery system provides every family an equal opportunity to register.
5. What if my daughter is not selected? In the event the desired team is full, additional girls will be placed on the wait list for that team. Should a spot open, the next girl will be randomly selected from the waitlist. Should your daughter be selected, you will be contacted to determine your continued interest. Your credit card will not be charged unless your daughter is formally added to the team. Girls are welcome to enroll on other teams, if space is available.
6. What about sisters? In order to keep the lottery truly random, sisters are treated as individuals in the lottery system. The sister not selected will remain in lottery status on the waitlist. Should one sister be selected and the other not, the family may exchange the registration to the other daughter, if desired.
7. If it’s truly random, why do you ask how many seasons my daughter has participated? This information is collected on behalf of Girls on the Run International. It is used to calculate retention rates and for curriculum development purposes. This information was gathered in the first-come, first-served system, as well.
8. Is the lottery for everyone or only when a team is full? Everyone who registers during the first four days will receive notification that they are in “lottery status." At that time, if more girls are registered than the number of available spots on a team, the lottery will occur to randomly select girls for that team. All additional girls will remain in “lottery status” and be placed on the wait list for full teams. If a spot becomes available, a girl will be randomly selected from the wait list.
Teams that are not full after the first four days of registration will include all girls registered at that time. Registration will then re-open and additional girls will be added on a first-come, first-served basis until that team is full.
9. When will we know if our girl gets a spot on the team? For the Fall 2017 season, registration opens on Thursday, August 10 at 10:00 am and will remain open until Sunday, August 13 at midnight. The lottery will occur on Monday, August 14. If placed on the team, you will receive confirmation of your “registered” or "lottery" status by email on that date. This is also the day your credit card will be charged. Girls on the wait list will remain in “lottery status." If a spot becomes available, a girl will be randomly selected from the wait list. Credit cards are NOT charged until a girl is formally added to a team. Families will then receive a confirmation email indicating “registered."
10. How many girls are on a team? In order to ensure a quality program experience for both girls and coaches, we limit the number of girls on each team. Teams with two coaches may have up to 15 girls, while teams with three or more coaches may have 20 girls.
11. Could you add more girls on a team if I volunteer to coach? In order to ensure quality programming we limit our team numbers based on many factors. Some factors include space availability at each site, previously ordered program supplies, facility usage limits and the number and experience of committed coaches before registration begins. That being said, having additional coaches does allow us to consider that possibility. If you are interested in coaching, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.